Photosynthesis & Cellular Respiration Study Guide
1. Name 3 life processes that use energy.
2. What are heterotrophs?
3. What is the ultimate energy for all life on earth?
4. What is photosynthesis?
5. Where are grana found in a chloroplast?
6. What is a biochemical pathway?
7. Solar energy is converted into what type of energy in photosynthesis?
8. What is the function of chlorophyll?
9. Name 3 things that can happen to light that strikes an object.
10. Explain why chlorophyll looks green.
11. What happens to a chlorophyll molecule that absorbs light energy?
12. What happens to the energized electrons of chlorophyll?
13. What is the source of oxygen produced during photosynthesis?
14. What two products of the light reactions provide energy for the Calvin cycle?
15. Can the Calvin cycle take place if light is present? if light is absent?
16. What atmospheric gas is a byproduct of photosynthesis?
17. When during photosynthesis is glucose made?
18. What are the 2 energy sources for the Calvin Cycle?
19. Where does the carbon in organic molecules come from?
20. Heterotrophs depend indirectly on _________ fro energy.
21. When food is broken down, energy is TEMPORARILY stored in what molecule?
22. All organisms use ________ as their energy molecule.
23. Oxygen produced during ___________ is used during _________________.
24. What is the effect of lactic acid on muscles?
25. When do muscles form lactic acid?
26. Glucose is split during what process?
27. Two molecules of what form from the splitting of glucose?
28. How much ATP is made from the initial splitting of glucose in the cytoplasm?
29. What is the anaerobic respiration of carbohydrates called?
30. Name the 2 main stages in cellular respiration.
31. ___________ respiration only occurs in the presence of oxygen.
32. NADPH is formed during what process?
33. NADH is formed during what process?
34. The Krebs cycle occurs in what process?
35. the Calvin cycle occurs in what process?
36. Water is the end product of what process?
37. At the end of the ETC, what gas is added to form water?
38. In cellular respiration, the most ATP is generated during the ___________.
39. What 2 energy carriers enter the ETC in cellular respiration?
40. Be able to define autotrophs & heterotrophs and to give examples of each.