Safety goggles/glasses & aprons must be worn at all times in the laboratory.
Tie back long hair & secure lose clothing.
No horseplay is allowed in the lab.
No food or drink is allowed in the laboratory.
Practice good “housekeeping” techniques. Return items to proper places in good condition. Avoid cluttering your work area.
Never use chemicals from unlabeled containers. Check each label before dispensing a chemical, & do not return a chemical to a bottle without the teacher’s permission.
Unless told otherwise, treat all chemicals as poisonous or corrosive. Wash hands immediately with plenty of water if chemical gets on them and always wash your hands before leaving lab.
No unauthorized lab work may be done, & a teacher must be present to do lab work.
Read & study each lab assignment before coming to lab. Pay attention to safety notes in the lab manual and from the instructor. Some common lab concerns:
* Never pipette by mouth
* Never use chipped or cracked glassware
* Do not heat a closed system
* Do not point heated containers at yourself or another person
* Use a fume hood for noxious fumes
* Place heated glass on wire gauze until cool
* Do not use flammable material near open flame
* Wear gloves when dispensing irritating chemicals
* Dilute concentrated acids by adding acid to water
* Turn off burners and water faucets when not in use & before leaving lab
* Only heat glassware marked Kimex or Pyrex
* Use glycerin and a twisting motion to insert glass tubing into stoppers
* Use tongs, test tube holders, or heat-resistant gloves to handle hot glassware
* Use pins to secure dissecting organisms to the dissecting tray before cutting with a scalpel
* Wash hands before and after dissecting and keep hands away from your face
Report all accidents immediately to the teacher.
Know the location and proper use of all safety equipment in the lab.