|Constructing Monomers of Macromolecules|
Use the organic model sets to construct each of the following monomers. Models will be 3-dimensional in shape. Use the following color code for atoms — Carbon (black), Oxygen (red), Hydrogen (yellow), and Nitrogen (blue). Springs will represent double bonds and wooden sticks represent single bonds.
1. What is a disaccharide?
2. What reaction is necessary to form a polysaccharide?
3. What elements make up lipids and carbohydrates?
4. What 4 things are attached to the center carbon in an amino acid?
5. What serves as the “backbone” for a fat or triglycerides?
6. Name a fatty acid.
7. How does an unsaturated fatty acid differ from a saturated fatty acid?
8. Name the 4 bases on DNA.
9. What base appears on RNA , but not on DNA?
10. Name the elements in:
a. amino acids?
b. nucleic acids?