DNA QUIZ QUESTIONS
1. What is the general name for chemicals like DNA and RNA
2. What general shape does the DNA molecule have?
3. List 4 differences between RNA and DNA
4. Describe the function of the mRNA in Protein Synthesis
5. What is the definition of a codon
6. What is the definition of an anti-codon
7. How many amino acids will result from the following strand of DNA?
A C G C C C A A A T A C
8. Name the two stages that make up protein synthesis
9. Where in the cell does replication take place?
10. Describe the function of the tRNA in Protein Synthesis?
11. Describe briefly the events that occur during transcription?
12. Name 2 common environmental mutagens
13. Describe briefly the events that occur during translation?
14. What is the definition of a) translation b) transcription
16. Define complementary base pairing and give an example?
17. Describe the function of the ribosome during protein synthesis
18. From a given strand of DNA. Show the results of Transcription or Replication
19. Make a drawing of DNA or RNA nucleotide and label the parts
20. Give 2 examples of a) purines b) pyrimidines
21. Name the 4 bases that make up DNA or RNA molecules
22. Describe how an environmental mutagen could cause a mutation
23. Describe briefly the events that occur during replication?
24. List 3 functions of DNA
25. Describe the function of the DNA in Protein Synthesis
26. What is the definition of a chromosomal mutation
27. What is the definition of a gene mutation
28. If the Nucleic acids are like ladders: What chemicals form the backbone of DNA or RNA molecules?
29. If the Nucleic acids are like ladders: What chemicals form the rungs of DNA or RNA molecule?
30. Briefly describe what occurs during Protein synthesis
31. What is recombinanant DNA. Give two uses of recombinant DNA
DNA SUBJECTIVE QUESTIONS
1. Describe 2 differences between the following pairs of terms
a. codon and anti codon b. replication and transcription c. RNA and DNA
d. transcription and translation e. chromosomal and gene mutation f. mRNA and tRNA
g. purine and pyrimidine h. complementary base pairing and joining of adjacent nucleotides
2. Describe complementary base pairing. Show an example.
3. Explain the roles/function of the following during Protein Synthesis:
a. DNA in the nucleus b. Transfer RNA (tRNA) c. Messenger RNA (mRNA) d. Ribosome
4. Name 2 environmental mutagens and describe how they could cause a mutation in an organism
5. Explain the process of DNA replication
6. Make a drawing of an RNA or DNA nucleotide and label the parts
7. Compare DNA and RNA with respect to the following things:
a. shape b. chemical makeup c. function d. abundance in the cell
8. Explain the process of translation
9. Explain the process of transcription
10. Describe in sequence, the process of protein synthesis. Include in your answer the names of the various steps, the organelles involved, and the names of the major molecules.
11. Describe how radiation or another such substance could cause mutations to occur.
12. From a given strand of DNA be able to determine the sequence of mRNA codons, and the amino acid strand produced.