Chapter 6 Photosynthesis Study Guide
1. What is the term for the ability to perform work?
2. What are animals that cannot make their own food are called?
3. Name the energy storage molecule used by most organisms?
4. Light of different wavelengths is different in __________________ and __________________.
5. During photosynthesis, what happens to a molecule that is reduced?
6. Oxidation is a process that makes a molecule __________________ electrons.
7. Name the disk-shaped structures with photosynthetic pigments in plants.
8. What is the process by which autothrophs convert sunlight into energy?
9. What do you call a molecule that can absorb certain light wavelengths and reflect others?
10.What is the most common group of photosynthetic pigments in plants?
11. Gel like stroma surround what structures in the chloroplast?
12. Name the two main stages of photosynthesis and briefly describe what happens in each stage.
13. Plants that use only the Calvin Cycle for photosynthesis are called ______________.
14. Why are CAM plants able to survive in dry, hot deserts?
15. What 3 things do autotrophs or producers use to make food?
16. The addition of an electron to an atom or a molecule is called _________________.
17. The loss of an electron to an atom or a molecule is called ____________________.
18. What do you call organisms that can make their own food?
19. An important waste product of photosynthesis is _______________________.
20. Photosynthesis occurs in what organelle of plants and algae?
21. Name the gel like material that surrounds the thylakoids in chloroplasts.
22. An object that absorbs all colors appears _____________________.
23. What are the light collecting units of the chloroplast? __________________.
24. What are the carbon fixing reactions that occur in photosynthesis called?
25. Chlorophyll reflects and transmits what color?
26. An object that reflects all colors appears ____________________________.
27. What are thylakoids that resemble stacks of pancakes called in chloroplasts?
28. Name the pigments that absorb violet, blue and red light.
29. Name the enzyme that adds a phosphate group to ADP & tell what forms?
30. What do we call the component colors of white light?
31. What are clusters of pigments called?
32. Name a five-carbon carbohydrate in the Calvin cycle.
33. Name a three-carbon molecule in the Calvin cycle.
34. What is a series of linked chemical reactions called?
35. What are the pigments that absorb blue and green light called?
36. From what are the oxygen atoms in oxygen gas produced in photosynthesis?
37. Both C4 and C3 plants use what carbon fixation cycle?
38. Where does the energy required for the Calvin cycle originate?
39. Protons are move into the thylakoid using energy from ___________________ in the __________________________ __________________________.
40. At the end of Photosystem I transport chain; electrons combine with ______________ to form ______________________.
41. Where are carbon atoms are fixed into organic compounds?
42. To produce the same amount of carbohydrate, C4 plants require less ___________________ ____________________ than C3 plants.
43. Where in the chloroplast do the light reactions occur?
44. Where in the chloroplast do the reactions of the Calvin cycle occur?
45. What product of the light reactions of photosynthesis is released and does not participate further in photosynthesis?
46. Which environmental factor will cause a rapid decline in the photosynthesis rate if the factor rises above a certain level?
47. Accessory pigments differ from chlorophyll a in that they are _______________ directly involved in the ___________________ _____________________ of photosynthesis.
48. Describe the internal structure and external structure of a chloroplast.
49. What happens to the components of water molecules that are split during the light reactions of photosynthesis?
50. How is ATP formed in photosynthesis?
51. What is the fate of most of the PGAL molecules in the third step of the Calvin cycle? What happens to the remaining PGAL molecules?
52. How do CAM plants differ from C3 and C4 plants? How does this difference allow CAM plants to exist in hot, dry conditions?
53. Photosynthesis is “saturated” at a certain level of CO2. What does this mean?
54. What structure that is found in the thylakoid membrane is important to chemiosmosis?