HOMEOSTASIS AND TRANSPORT
Chapter 5 Study Guide
1. A type of transport in which water moves across and down its concentration gradient is called ______________________________________.
2. Net movement of water across a cell membrane occurs from a ___________________ solution to a ________________________ solution.
3. A _____________________ ___________________ only allows certain molecules to pass through it.
4. A __________________________ _____________________ is the concentration difference across space.
5. A structure that can move excess water out of a unicellular organism is a __________________________ ______________________.
6. The movement of some substances, without any input of energy by the cell, is called ________________________ ________________________.
7. The process of diffusion requires:
8. If the molecular concentration of a substance is the same throughout space, the substance is in ____________________________________.
9. All forms of passive transport depend on the ___________________ ________________ of molecules.
10. The movement of molecules from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration is called ______________________________.
11. Sodium-potassium pumps move ___________________ ions _______________ of the cell and ___________________________ ions ___________________ the cell. This causes the inside of the cell to have what type of charge? __________________________.
12. Most of the time, the environment that plant cells live in is ________________________.
13. Plasmolysis of a human red blood cell would occur if the cell were in an) ____________________________ ____________________________.
14. The bursting of cells is called _____________________________.
15. The pressure that water molecules exert against a cell wall is called ___________________ _________________________________.
16. A membrane bound organelle used in endocytosis is called a _______________________.
17. A relatively high solute concentration is called _____________________________.
18. The uptake of large particles is called ________________________________.
19. The shrinking of cells is called _____________________________________.
20. A relatively low solute concentration is called ___________________________.
21. The uptake of solutes or fluids is called ________________________________.
22. Molecules always diffuse ___________________ their concentration gradient.
23. The diffusion of water across a membrane is called __________________________.
24. In a ________________________ _____________________ the concentration of solutes outside and inside the cell are equal.
25. Transport that requires the cell to expend energy is called _____________________ ________________________________.
26. Name three types of passive transport and three types of active transport.
27. Describe what would happen to the molecules in a drop of ink dropped into a beaker of water. What is this process called?
28. What is the fundamental difference between carrier proteins that participate in facilitated diffusion and carrier proteins that function as pumps?
29. How do ions cross the lipid bilayer of the cell membrane?
30. Describe the action of the sodium-potassium pump.
31. Contrast endocytosis with exocytosis.