AP Biology Essay Questions
The following is a comprehensive list of essay questions that have been asked on past AP exams. The questions are organized according to units.
Unit 1 (Basic Chemistry and Water)
1. The unique properties (characteristics) of water make life possible on Earth. Select three properties of water and:
Unit 2 (Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, and Metabolism)
2. Describe the chemical composition and configuration of enzymes and discuss the factors that modify enzyme structure and/or function.
3. After an enzyme is mixed with its substrate, the amount of product formed is determined at 10-second intervals for 1 minute. Data from this experiment are shown below:
Draw a graph of these data and answer the following questions.
4. Enzymes are biological catalysts.
Unit 3 (Cell Structure and Function, Cell division)
5. Describe the fluid-mosaic model of a plasma membrane. Discuss the role of the membrane in the movement of materials through it by each of the following processes:
6. Describe the structure of a eukaryotic plant cell. Indicate the ways in which a nonphotosynthetic prokaryotic cell would differ in structure from this generalized eukaryotic plant cell.
7. Discuss the process of cell division in animals. Include a description of mitosis and cytokinesis, and of the other phases of the cell cycle. Do Not include meiosis.
8. A laboratory assistant prepared solution of 0.8 M, 0.6 M, 0.4 M, and 0.2 M sucrose, but forgot to label them. After realizing the error, the assistant randomly labeled the flasks containing these four unknown solutions as flask A, flask B, flask C, and flask D.
Design an experiment, based on the principles of diffusion and osmosis, that the assistant could use to determine which of the flasks contains each of the four unknown solutions. Include in your answer (a) a description of how you would set up and perform the experiment: (b) the results you would expect from your experiments: and (c) an explanation of those results based on the principles involved. (Be sure to clearly state the principles addressed in your discussion.)
9. Cells transport substances across their membranes. Choose THREE of the following four types of cellular transport.
For each of the three transport types you choose,
Unit 4 (Photosynthesis and Cellular Respiration)
10. Describe the similarities and differences between the biochemical pathways of aerobic respiration and photosynthesis in eukaryotic cells. Include in your discussion the major reactions, the end products, and energy transfers.
11. The rate of photosynthesis may vary with changes that occur in environmental temperature, wavelength of light, and light intensity. Using a photosynthetic organism of your choice, choose only ONE of the three variables (temperature, wavelength of light, or light intensity) and for this variable
12. Describe the light reactions of photosynthesis and, for both a C3 and a C4 plant, trace the path of a carbon dioxide molecule from the point at which it enters a plant to its incorporation into a glucose molecule. Include leaf anatomy and biochemical pathways in your discussion of each type of plant.
13. Explain what occurs during the Krebs (citric acid) cycle and electron transport by describing the following:
14. Membranes are important structural features of cells.
15. Energy transfer occurs in all cellular activities. For 3 of the following 5 processes involving energy transfer, explain how each functions in the cell and give an example. Explain how ATP is involved in each example you choose.
16. The results below are measurements of cumulative oxygen consumption by germinating and dry seeds. Gas volume measurements were corrected for changes in temperature and pressure.